Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Creatures in All the Wild Places




















When I was 12 years old, I began to pursue a career.  I gave it great thought and a decision was made and set in stone.  I was going to be a Veterinarian!  I loved animals, but their dander set off my asthma every time I left the Big Cat House at Brookfield Zoo.  And, it just so happened that there was a Vet Clinic three blocks from my home.  So one fine day I raised the level of my courage to the point of action and I walked to the Clinic to volunteer my services.

“Oh, yes, we would be glad to have you help,” the receptionist said.  “Come back Monday afternoon and bring a small plastic shovel with you.”  I was elated.  It was my first “job” offer and I was at step one of a fantastic career!  Until…until I was half way home and realized what the plastic shovel was for…it was a pooper-scooper!  That was the end of my career as a Vet.

My fondness for animals remains. 

The Church got it right…once a year they bless the animals.  Now why didn’t I think of that?

So these three Posts are created to praise the animals I have encountered on my Journey and those I am destined to either encounter or to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment