Monday, January 11, 2010

Some Might Avert Their Eyes




















Look, I see what I see. 

I notice form and composition, content and consequence.  And, if there is a tinge of naughty in the frame, it is all the better. 

When I was a rooky rabbi in San Diego, my friend and fellow shooter, Sid F., called me up and invited me over for a photo session in his home studio.  Sid taught photography at City College.

I made excuses.  I’m too tired.  I have work to do.  I am out of film.

“Look,” he said, “the shoot will last an hour and I have plenty of film for you.  Besides, how many opportunities will you ever have to photograph a nude model?”

Long pause…

“I’ll be right there!”

It was the most difficult photo experience I can ever remember.  Never printed a single shot.  All I remember is the inappropriateness and the danger of discovery.

I have made up for it since then.  I do interesting images charged with a wee bit of the erotic.



No comments:

Post a Comment